The Counselor is responsible for assessing and monitoring client behavior within Willow Springs Recovery’s Detoxification, Residential, and Therapeutic Programs. The Counselor works in collaboration with the Clinical Supervisor and Clinical Director to ensure all services are being delivered to Willow Springs Recovery’s standards, the Counselor is responsible for documenting client behavior, group participation and counseling; caring for clients, coordinating treatment and discharge planning. The Counselor will also be providing crisis management, group therapies, facilitates/provides referrals in the transition of care and education for the clients and family/significant others in a therapeutic milieu setting.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide assessments and participate in the treatment planning with clients and their families/significant others.
- Interview clients to obtain information concerning social history, treatment and other pertinent information.
- Observe clients to detect indications of abnormal physical or mental behavior.
- Review results of tests given by the Psychiatrist to evaluate clients’ needs.
- Change method and degree of therapy when indicated by client reactions/needs as well as when indicated by the Clinical Supervisor or Clinical Director.
- Review client chart for completion of all paperwork with appropriate signatures. Complete any paperwork and get any missing signatures from the client. Follow the chart table of contents and check off all documents currently in the client chart.
- Bio/Psych/Social Assessment and Treatment plan created with the client. After completion both documents will be signed and dated by the client and the therapist.
- Ensure the client orientation is present and reviewed by the client, the Receipt of Client Handbook filed in the client’s chart will confirm this. If receipt is missing, review entire Client Handbook with the client to ensure the client has a clear understanding of the rules, policies, and schedule. Client should also understand the communication hierarchy and where to go with their various issues/concerns.
- Contact family immediately and set up a schedule of communication for the remainder of treatment. Family should be informed that the Counselor will call in the next week after meeting with the client.
- Complete notes for every group and interaction and document in the EMR. All group notes and notes for individual client meetings should stay current in the chart within 24 hours of occurrence.
- Discuss progress toward goals with residents such as medication regiment, family relationships, educational programs, social development, discharge plans or other behavioral problems.
- Therapist and Clinical Supervisor must work in conjunction for the development of treatment plans, upkeep of charts, assuring documentation is current with both group and individual sessions. Chart reviews will be conducted daily.
- Plan and administer therapeutic treatment, behavior modification, and stress management therapy to assist clients’ in developing/displaying appropriate behaviors.
- Develop and implement appropriate discharge planning with clients, family, and placing agency. This process should be started from day one.
- Develop and maintain positive relationship with external customers, families and employees.
- Assist Clinical Supervisor in the coordination of services for clients.
- Initiate, facilitate and promote on-site activities, therapeutic support and educational groups, outings and documents on these in the client’s chart.
- Respond to emergencies and initiate action plans as required.
- Respond to client complaints.
- Attend CQI (Continuous Quality Improvement Trainings) led by the supervisor to ensure the continued growth of the clinical department.
- Attend and participates in staff meetings and training.
- Other duties, as assigned.
The incumbent will:
- Possess a basic knowledge of administrative functions including, interpersonal communications, office etiquette, and computer skills.
- Advanced knowledge of 12-step treatment model and its application in residential treatment.
- Possess strong clinically ethical standards.
- Possess an intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office suite applications including Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point.
- Knowledge of dual diagnosis treatment practices including non-pharmacological symptom management techniques.
- Advanced knowledge of HIPAA regulations and CFR 42 requirements.
- Possess a basic understanding of report generation, graphical analysis, and data interpretation.
To excel in this position the incumbent should be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving – Identify and resolve problems in efficient and effective ways.
- Ethics – Treat clients, staff, co-workers, visitors, contractors, and guests of Willow Springs Recovery with respect and dignity; work ethically and uphold the values and standards or Willow Springs Recovery.
- Attendance, Punctuality, Reliability – Arrive on-site, on-time, as scheduled, consistently with a professional disposition. Ensure all work responsibilities are covered in the event of an absence or scheduled vacation.
- Leadership – Constant development of staff, co-workers and clients, in effort to achieve each individual’s highest potential.
- Strong Character – Staying calm under pressure is essential. Having an approachable demeanor without compromising Willow Springs Standards of ethics and workmanship.
- Organization – Must be highly organized and efficient in managing the necessary daily client/staff demands and tasks associated with them.
Qualifications and Preferences:
The following requirements and preferences will be evaluated and verified to establish employment eligibility.
- 1-3 Years of experience operating as an LCDC-I or higher
- 1-3 Year of experience utilizing Microsoft Excel at an advanced level.
- Past experience working with medical records is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Individual Licensure requirements and scope of practice must be maintained.
Willow Springs is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind.