Alcohol and drug addiction can sometimes cause so much financial difficulty, that those who sincerely want to seek treatment feel like they have no way out. Thankfully, there are addiction treatment resources in Kansas that are free of charge. Below is a list of all the possible routes you can take when taking the first step towards recovery.Kansas is well below the national average of illicit substance abuse. Only 6.71% have reported substance misuse in the past month, compared to the average of 8.82%. Nevertheless, there is still a problem of addiction in the Sunflower State, like meth and other illegal drug labs have risen for over 48% in the past year. This goes to show that the demand for addictive substances is continuously increasing, sending many Kansas residents into a downward spiral of addiction. If you or a loved one is going through this struggle, you may have tried looking for treatment options but none fit your budget. Thus, this article will be a thorough resource of free treatment programs as well as other options that you can choose within your state.
Free Addiction Treatment Resource: KansasWhen it comes to finding quality addiction treatment, you may wonder if anything is even free in this day and age. The great thing is, there are government-funded and nonprofit organizations set in place for you to receive information and support during a substance abuse crisis. Here are some steps you can take when looking for free addiction treatment programs in Kansas:
How To Start Your Search For Free Treatment Resources
- Think about the type of addiction treatment program that suits your needs. Are you comfortable going to support groups? Do you prefer structured therapy with a counselor? You can list them down and rank them according to your preferences. It is also important to keep an open mind about seeking addiction treatment. Sometimes, what sounds uncomfortable at the initial stages may prove to be helpful in the long run.
- Start contacting the resources of your preference. You can call the hotlines and explain your case. They may ask for additional information such as identification, location, and other background questions. Representatives will also provide you with information about how to get started with your treatment program.
- Have the necessary preparations. If you’re going to inpatient rehab, there may be preparations needed. These include informing your employer, having temporary persons set in place for your household responsibilities, and other tasks that should be done even if you will be away for some time.
State-Funded ProgramsKansas Department for Aging and Disability Services has a complete list of state-specific programs for people suffering from substance use disorders. At present, they offer counseling sessions, acute detox treatment, crisis intervention, as well as case management services. According to KDADS, these are all community-service programs that are funded by the Kansas state government and are free of charge. The first step in seeking treatment under KDADS is by having a screening and assessment under Beacon Health Options. Doing this will help them serve you better and provide the appropriate program for your substance abuse condition.
Local Meetings: Religious and Non-Religious
Find Support LocallyThere are various local meetings for addiction support, both religious and non-religious in nature all over the state of Kansas. You may contact these well-known support groups:
Local AA MeetingsAlcoholics Anonymous Kansas, also known as Area 25 AA, is a network of support groups all over the state. They hold both in-person and online Zoom meetings where people can talk about their experiences while gathering support from each other through their journey towards recovery from alcohol addiction. Peer groups can serve as a form of accountability and can lessen the isolation that triggers alcohol abuse.
Local NA MeetingsSame as AA, Narcotics Anonymous Kansas is a nonprofit organization that connects people who want to join support groups for battling drug abuse. Kansas NA has a hotline that people can call for more information and counseling for drug addiction. They also provide in-person and Zoom meetings for participants all over the state, to improve peer accountability and support in overcoming drug abuse.
Faith-Based MeetingsThere are also free-of-charge programs that are based on Christian values. For example, Heartland Community Church specializes in providing Care Resources. These are Graduate Intern Therapists, Pastors, and one-on-one peer support that can help you deal with the struggles of drug abuse and other personal issues. Heartland Community Church also has a list of resources on its website for immediate help during a crisis.
Other Options / Paid OptionsIn some instances, using free resources can be costly in terms of time and effort. Either the waiting list takes too long to get the response, or the quality of care isn’t what you expect. Here are some ways to finance your high-quality paid rehab center with minimal to no out-of-pocket costs.
ScholarshipsAre you a current student, or someone who wants to get back to schooling? You may apply for a scholarship towards a university that supports in-house addiction treatment. Collegescholarships.com presents a large list of Kansas-based scholarships that you can pick from. Usually, scholarship programs require you to submit an essay. You can craft an essay detailing your struggles in addiction and how you plan to overcome it.
InsuranceWhether you’re employed or self-employed, your health insurance provider may provide coverage for a paid addiction rehab. You can verify your insurance and see how much coverage you can get, or see what type of addiction treatments they will accept as a part of the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act.
LoansThere is another advantage if you’re employed or have some source of income. You can apply for a personal loan even if you have a less-than-stellar credit score. Personal loans can be used for any purpose, such as hospital care or addiction treatment. Community America has a list of Kansas Personal Loan providers that you can choose from.
12-Step Programs and Non-Religious12-Step is an evidence-based protocol for battling substance use disorders usually presented in many support groups and rehab centers. It is a faith-based approach that helps you target your personal root cause of addiction. On the other hand, there are also non-religious programs where you focus on improving self-management strategies during addiction recovery.
Friends and FamilyOne of your greatest sources of support is the friends and family who love you and care for your well-being. Aside from moral support, they can also provide you with financial assistance. You can ask for sponsorships, whether partial or full, in order to cover the expenses of addiction treatment. You can pool their donations or loans while committing to a complete recovery as a sign of gratitude towards your loved ones.
Online Self-Help ForumsThere are also self-help and advice forums that you can join. A great example is Drugs-Forum. They provide support based on category, and people can also talk within the online community based on the substance they are recovering from. There are also large online forums such as Reddit, with subreddits focusing on substance abuse recovery, such as r/addiction.
Recovery Advice When Money Is ScarceOften, people who want to recover struggle financially. As some illicit substances are costly, the ongoing addiction makes it difficult to pay for treatment as well. Here are some steps you can take to get help even when you have little to no financial resources:
- Think of income-generating ideas to fund for your rehab: Income-generating ideas can include crowdfunding, asking help from family and friends, or having a small business to earn a little profit. You can pool all of the earnings and donations that you will receive to get into a high-quality rehab.
- Find self-management apps that can help you temporarily: Although not a permanent solution, there are some habit-modifying apps that can help you curb your addiction cravings. You may try to use these apps to practice self-management while you’re saving up for addiction treatment.
- Take advantage of your insurance: Being informed about your insurance policy can help you greatly in getting quality addiction treatment. It is best to contact your insurance provider about your coverage.