Not all people can afford paid addiction treatment programs. Thus, there are free resources available per state, such as in The Hawkeye State. If you are presently residing in Iowa, below are some free resources that can help you get started in your journey to sobriety.
Free Addiction Treatment Resource: IowaRecent reports in addiction cases within Iowa have seen high rates of alcohol-related deaths and binge drinking. However, it is also good to know that Iowa has the lowest rates of illicit drug use. Even with this smaller statistic, it is still helpful to have free programs set in place for people who need it. In the state of Iowa, there are several types of free resources available. These include support groups, state-funded programs, as well as faith-based meetings that are sponsored by religious organizations. Take a look at the resources listed in this post to see if any program will be a great fit.
How To Start Your Search For Free Treatment Resources and ProgramsThe best way to get started on your journey is to have an exhaustive list of Iowa-based resources that you would like to try. After that, you can proceed to get in touch with them through their contact information on how to get started. It can be a nerve-wracking experience, but sometimes, all you have to say is you need help. Specialists are trained to provide you with information and counseling even when you don’t have the right words to say. They will be asking questions pertinent to help you get started with treatment and support groups. Let’s take a look at the available treatment resources in Iowa.
State-Funded ProgramsState-funded programs are those which are sponsored by the Iowa government to provide services to its residents. They are mostly free of charge or would require only a minimal fee to get started. Some of the well-known government-backed resources in Iowa include the following:
- IDPH Bureau of Substance Abuse: Iowa Department of Public Health has their branch focusing on substance abuse. They present newsletters, programs, and services, as well as a local program finder to help Iowa residents get services close to their city. The common hurdle of some people suffering from substance abuse is the lack of information regarding local treatment programs. You may access several links and information on the IDPH website.
- SAMSHA Website: Another great nationwide resource for Iowa residents is the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) website. In their database, they have a list of facilities, state-funded establishments, and charity groups within the state of Iowa. All you have to do is to type the information such as the city you are presently in. SAMHSA reassures that any type of information that you share on their website remains confidential.
- National Helpline: If you are in the middle of a crisis and need more immediate help, the National Helpline is available for a quick response to counseling and referrals. It is a nationwide, streamlined, substance abuse resource finder to get you started right away. If you are a resident of Iowa, simply provide this information to the agent and they will refer you to appropriate resources immediately.
Local MeetingsOne of the ways that addiction can be dealt with is through participating in local meetings. Whether it’s alcohol or drug abuse, or any other form of addiction, there are condition-specific local meetings available ni Iowa.
Find Support Locally
Local AA MeetingsAlcoholics Anonymous Iowa provides in-person and online meetings and support groups for Iowa residents suffering from alcoholism and alcohol abuse problems. One of the principles of AA is for people to share their experiences as well as provide strength, hope, and support towards each other. The goal of AA is to harness the power of human connection to battle alcohol addiction.
Local NA MeetingsNarcotics Anonymous Iowa is a support group system geared towards drug abuse. It is similar in nature to Alcoholics Anonymous Iowa but is specifically focused on substances other than alcohol. They also provide online and in-person meetings for people who want to join. The group supports confidentiality while providing access to support, inspiration, and an outlet for others to share their struggles.
Faith-Based MeetingsHope Ministries Iowa is a non-profit organization that helps the residents of the state in their financial and personal struggles. The ministry is a brick-and-mortar organization that provides meals, financial support, and life recovery programs from victims of domestic violence, mental health issues, and substance abuse. Participants are required to attend their programs, focus on recovery, and become trained with skills that they will need outside the program.
Other Options / Paid OptionsIn some instances, free resources cannot fulfill one’s needs. There may be an influx, or the waitlist is taking too long. Below are also other resources to get support with the maximum financial assistance and minimal costs.
ScholarshipsUnigo has a list of scholarships available for Iowa students. If you plan to go back to school after addiction treatment, you can share your story of recovery in these programs’ essay requirements. Many scholarships are looking for inspiring stories of struggle and perseverance to inspire others in their cause.
InsuranceDid you know that many high-quality rehab centers accept major insurance providers? This means that there is full or partial coverage of substance abuse treatment as long as you provide the appropriate information. At present, there is an ordinance set by the government that all substance abuse disorders should be given the right assessment and management procedures similar to mental health conditions.
LoansWalletHub presents a list of personal loans you can take out if you’re a resident of Iowa. Some loans require a good credit score, and others are willing to provide a personal loan for rehab treatment even with a poor credit score. When taking out a loan, make sure to read the fine print and be informed about the interest rates.
12-Step Programs and Non-Religious Treatment12-Step and Non-Religious programs are evidence-based management for addiction problems. There are several rehab centers, whether in-state or out-of-state that offer these protocols for treatment. When choosing a program, it is best to get an evaluation at first to know which kind of addiction treatment suits you the most.
Friends and FamilyFriends and family can also be a source of moral, emotional, and even financial support as you commit to addiction treatment. Once you decide to get into a paid rehab program, sharing this information with a trusted friend or family member can open doors for sponsorships or even donations. You can also set up an online crowdfunding page to help finance your needs.
Online Self-Help ForumsThe Tribe Wellness community is an example of a peer-to-peer online support group that helps people with addictions self-manage their struggles. Similar to local NA and AA meetings, they share experiences, advice, and encouragement to battle addictions of any kind. Alternatively, there are also several subreddits in the Reddit Community dedicated to substance abuse problems. It is important to be vigilant in the Reddit forums as a lot of people, both with good and ill intentions visit the website.
Recovery Advice When the Money Is ScarcePeople have the misconception that addiction treatment is costly, but it doesn’t have to be. The free resources mentioned above are simple proof that there are available supports when you have little to spare on the financial side of things. If you’re unsure where to start financing your addiction treatment, here are some tips you can implement:
- Contact the free resources mentioned above.
- If these links aren’t a great fit for you, list down ways you can finance a paid rehab center.
- Contact your insurance provider about specifics in the coverage of addiction treatment.
- Share with your trusted loved ones how you are trying to get into rehab and provide suggestions on how they can give support.
- Create income-generating strategies to finance your addiction treatment, until you reach your intended goal.
- While finding ways to finance, you can pick free resources that you can use as a supplement as you go on your way to a premium rehab.