Top Addiction Counselors in Elgin, ILNo demographic is safe from addiction. It can affect anyone, regardless of age, educational level, race, ethnicity, or religion. The opioid crisis has hit the Chicago area hard. Cook County officials predict that 2021’s opioid overdose deaths will surpass 2020’s toll. That fits the upward trend of recent years. From January 2018 through December 2020, the county experienced 4,283 opioid-linked overdose deaths. The potent synthetic opioid fentanyl has factored in many of these losses. Getting help for a substance use disorder can be a challenging experience. For example, for a person heavily addicted to drugs or alcohol, detoxification is more than likely unpleasant, thanks to ugly withdrawal symptoms. But that is just step one. Once the patient is clean of substances and ready to move to the next phase, it’s time for therapy—specifically psychotherapy. Counselors will work with patients to determine why they resort to drug use. They’ll also work with clients to help them learn how to live drug- and alcohol-free lives. It can be hard work, but several therapies, particularly cognitive-behavioral therapy, are particularly effective in treating addiction and many other mental health woes. Here is a list of several Elgin-area counselors and therapists specializing in helping clients with addictions and related disorders.
1. Dr. Coralie Castro-Craig, PsyD, LCPCDr. Coralie Castro-Craig is a licensed clinical professional counselor (LCPC) with a doctorate of psychology from the Illinois School of Professional Psychology. Dr. Castro-Craig uses cognitive-behavioral therapy, dialectical behavior therapy, and mindfulness-based therapy to help her patients with anxiety, depression, self-esteem, and substance use issues. She also helps patients develop stronger coping skills. She is fluent in English and Spanish.
Address: CC Behavioral Health, LTD Elgin, IL 60123
Phone number: (630).345.8194
2. Julie Field, LCPC, CADC, CAMS IIJulie Field is a licensed clinical professional counselor (LCPC), certified alcohol and drug counselor (CADC), and certified anger management specialist (CAMS). Field works with adults who struggle with substance abuse, mood and anxiety disorders, anger management, and self-esteem issues. She uses an eclectic approach to treat her patients, including cognitive-behavioral therapy, motivational interviewing, and psychodynamic approaches. Field is also trained in eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) therapy. She has a master’s degree in professional counseling from Argosy University.
Address: Spring Hill Counseling Services, 28 S. 5th St., Geneva, IL 60134
Phone number: (630).793.4037
3. Thomas Heroldt, LCPC, CADCThomas Heroldt is a licensed clinical professional counselor (LCPC) and certified alcohol and drug counselor (CADC). Heroldt helps patients with addiction, mood disorders, and relationship issues by using cognitive-behavioral therapy, dialectical behavior therapy, mindfulness-based treatment, and Christian counseling. He helps both teens and adults.
Address: Fox Valley Counseling, 600 Spring Hill Ring Road, Suite 104, West Dundee, IL 60118
Phone number: (312).513.3702
4. David Kovach, LPCDavid Kovach is a licensed professional counselor (LPC). He specializes in treating addiction, trauma, and anxiety issues with cognitive-behavioral therapy, dialectical behavior therapy, prolonged exposure therapy, and more. Kovach believes in a collaborative and holistic approach with his clients. He has a master’s in counseling from Palo Alto University and also holds a certificate in substance use disorders counseling.
Address: South Elgin, IL 60177
Phone number: (630).884.4486
5. Kathleen Kronn, LCSWKathleen Kronn is a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW) with a double major in psychology and law and society. She has a master’s of social work from Aurora University. Kronn counsels individuals, groups, and families. She uses cognitive-behavioral therapy, mindfulness, and motivational interviewing approaches to help patients struggling with addiction, substance abuse, anxiety, depression, and trauma. She also specializes in bullying and self-esteem issues that many teens and adolescents face.
Address: Advanced Psychiatry of Elgin-Remote Location, 2130 Point Blvd., Suite 200, Elgin, IL 60123
Phone number: (847).686.3094
6. Sarah Leight, LCSWSarah Leight is a licensed clinical social worker who uses a collaborative approach to help her clients. Therapies she uses include cognitive-behavioral, culturally sensitive, motivational interviewing, and trauma-focused. Leight specializes in helping patients with addiction, anxiety, depression, dual diagnoses, stress, and trauma.
Address: Elgin, IL 60124
Phone number: (847).221.6137
7. Dr. Eleni Malamis, PsyDDr. Eleni Malamis has a doctorate and master’s degree in clinical psychology. She is in private practice. She provides evidence-based treatments like cognitive-behavioral therapy, acceptance and commitment therapy, and dialectical behavior therapy. Dr. Malamis works with patients with depression, anxiety, addiction, and self-esteem issues. Her practice only offers telehealth therapy.
Address: Elgin, IL 60120
Phone number: (630).506.3906
8. Thomas Mlodzik, LCSW, LMFT, CADCThomas Mlodzik is a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW), licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT), certified clinical alcohol and drug counselor (CADC), and licensed moral theologian. He is also certified in emotionally-focused couples therapy (C-EFT). Mlodzik is the CEO and founder of Restore Counseling & Recovery. He specializes in treating addictions, compulsive behaviors, mood disorders, and communication enhancement. He has a master’s in social work from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
Address: Restore Counseling & Recovery, 7399 Forest Hills Road, Loves Park, IL 61111
Phone number: (815).317.4235
9. Judith C. Wherley, LCSWJudith C. Wherley is a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW) who helps patients with addiction, codependency, sexual assault, and other traumas. She has a master’s degree in social work from George Williams College in Downers Grove (now Aurora University). Wherley helps individuals, couples, and families using therapies that include cognitive-behavioral, culturally sensitive, compassion-focused, mindfulness-based, and positive psychology.
Address: Judith Wherley Counseling, West Dundee, IL 60118
Phone number: (630).521.3912
10. Justin Wolfe, LCPC, CADC, CRC, PCGCJustin Wolfe is a licensed clinical professional counselor (LCPC), certified alcohol and drug counselor (CADC), certified rehabilitation counselor (CRC), and a problematic and compulsive gambling counselor (PCGC). He is also the clinical director for Footprints to Recovery in Illinois. He specializes in addiction, dual diagnosis, and medical detox, helping his patients through cognitive-behavioral therapy, dialectical behavior therapy, and mindfulness-based approaches. Wolfe has a master’s in counseling with a specialization in rehabilitation from Adler University.
Address: Footprints to Recovery, 411 West River Road, Elgin, IL 60123
Phone number: (224).293.6717
Website: footprintstorecovery.comIt can be difficult to overcome a substance use disorder, but not impossible. With the right treatment, which includes psychotherapy, a person can learn to live a life free from the harmful influences of drugs or alcohol. Sources
A Message From Our CEO
Sunshine Behavioral Health strives to help people who are facing substance abuse, addiction, mental health disorders, or a combination of these conditions. It does this by providing compassionate care and evidence-based content that addresses health, treatment, and recovery.
Licensed medical professionals review material we publish on our site. The material is not a substitute for qualified medical diagnoses, treatment, or advice. It should not be used to replace the suggestions of your personal physician or other health care professionals.