Top Addiction Counselors in Lakewood, ColoradoThe abuse of drugs such as heroin, prescription opioids, methamphetamine (meth), cocaine, and benzodiazepines has always carried risks. Now the adulteration of the drug supply with fentanyl has increased that risk manyfold. Even the one-time use of a single pill, obtained from a friend or trusted dealer, can kill. This makes ending—preferably never starting—substance abuse a matter of life or death. Fentanyl, a synthetic opioid that is as much as 50 times as strong as heroin, is routinely added to or substituted for less powerful drugs because it is cheaper and easier to find. Because of its potency, a little goes a long way. Unfortunately, it’s also easy to miscalculate the dosage. Although Colorado has a lower rate of opioid overdose deaths than most U.S. states, the state rate has increased more than threefold since 1999. In 2021, they likely rose higher still. By population, Lakewood is the fifth largest city in Colorado—just west of Denver, the largest city—and the largest municipality in Jefferson County, itself the fourth largest county in the state. In Jefferson County 2020, fentanyl alone only accounted for about one in eight (12.7%) drug overdose deaths (methamphetamine/amphetamine deaths were 14.3%), but deaths due to mixed drug use were more than four times higher at 64%. That includes drugs mixed with fentanyl, other opioids, stimulants, and alcohol. A pill intended to ease pain or cause a pleasant buzz can instead cause a fatal overdose. Even if you have the opioid overdose reversal drug naloxone (Narcan) on hand, it might not be enough to prevent death. Don’t wait for a near miss to get scared straight. Seek help immediately. There are some top alcohol and drug addiction counselors in Lakewood, Colorado.
1. Marc J. Coulter, Ph.D., ACC, LPC, NCCDr. Marc J. Coulter is a licensed professional counselor, a certified addiction specialist, a national certified counselor, and a national certified master addiction counselor in private practice. He completed his master’s in counseling psychology at the University of Colorado Denver in 2001 and a doctorate in spiritual psychology at the University of Denver in 2021. He specializes in the treatment of addiction, relationship issues, and men’s issues, one-on-one and without judgment. He also treats depression and trauma. His treatment methods include motivational interviewing, mindfulness, and eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR). Telehealth counseling is available.
Address: 445 Union Blvd., Suite 221, Lakewood, CO 80228
2. Abigail Horn, MSW, LSW, In Focus CounselingAbigail Horn is a licensed social worker and counselor at In Focus Counseling. She completed her bachelor’s in psychology at the University of Colorado Boulder in 2017 and her master of social work at the Metropolitan State University of Denver in 2020. She specializes in the treatment of anxiety, mood, and substance use disorders. Her treatment methods include acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT), cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), and (for opioid and alcohol use disorders) medication-assisted treatment (MAT). All therapy is by telehealth due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Address: 950 Wadsworth Blvd., Suite 203, Lakewood, CO 80214
3. Ashleigh Davis Peterson, MA, LMFT, LAC, CRNC, Family Solutions CounselingAshleigh Peterson is a licensed addiction counselor, a marriage and family therapist, a certified recovery nutrition coach, and co-owner of Family Solutions Counseling. She completed her master’s in marriage and family therapy and counseling psychology at Regis University in 2014. She specializes in treating addiction, anxiety, and self-esteem issues holistically, including cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT), and mental health nutrition. Telehealth counseling is available.
Address: 12600 West Colfax Ave., Suite A100, Lakewood, CO 80215
4. Glenn Tyson, MA, LPC, LifeStance HealthGlenn Tyson is a licensed professional counselor and a therapist with LifeStance Health (formerly Heart Centered Counseling). He has a master’s in counseling psychology from the University of Denver. He specializes in addiction, anxiety, and relationship issues. He uses combinations of behavioral therapies (cognitive behavioral, rational emotive, and motivational interviewing), mindfulness, and integrative approaches. Telehealth counseling is available.
Address: 8015 West Alameda Ave., Suite G50, Lakewood, CO 80226
5. Sharon Marie Gusmus, LPC, MA, CAS, Beach TherapySharon Marie Gusmus is a licensed professional counselor, a certified addiction specialist, and the founder and primary counselor at Beach Therapy. She completed her master’s in mental health counseling at Colorado Christian University in 2017. Her specialties include addiction, anxiety, and trauma/post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Her treatment approaches include cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and eye movement, desensitization, and reprocessing (EMDR). Telehealth counseling is available.
Address: 9764 West Girton Dr., Lakewood, CO 80227
6. Tammy Lynn Pope, MS, ICGCII, Choice Counseling & Recovery LLCTammy Lynn Pope is an international certified gambling counselor, a registered unlicensed psychotherapist, and owner of Choice Counseling & Recovery. She completed her master’s in psychology at the University of Phoenix in 2009. She specializes in gambling, substance use, and mental health treatment. She specializes in treating addiction, mood disorders, and gambling. Her treatment approaches include behavioral therapies, mindfulness, biofeedback, and eye movement, desensitization, and reprocessing (EMDR). Telehealth counseling is available.
Address: 7585 West Arkansas Ave., Suite 207, Lakewood, CO 80232
7. M. Beth Baldwin, drug and alcohol counselor, BS, NCAC II, CAC-III, Colorado Addictions ConsultingBeth (Merri Elizabeth) Baldwin is a certified addiction specialist, a national certified addiction counselor, a Colorado addiction counselor, an unlicensed psychotherapist, and a counselor at Colorado Addictions Counseling. She completed her bachelor’s in human services at the Metropolitan State University of Denver in 2003. She leads Colorado Addictions Consulting’s counseling team and specializes in adolescent substance use disorders and related issues. She employs a culturally sensitive and specific counseling approach. Telehealth counseling and online classes are available.
Address: 1978 South Garrison St., Suite 110, Lakewood, CO 80227
Email: [email protected]
8. Paul Lovato, drug and alcohol counselor, BS, CAC-III, Abundant Solutions CounselingPaul Lovato is a certified addiction specialist at Abundant Solutions Counseling. He completed his bachelor’s in human services at the Metropolitan State University of Denver in 1995. He specializes in addiction, trauma/post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and dual diagnosis (co-occurring mental health and substance use disorders). Telehealth counseling is available.
Address: 7114 West Jefferson Ave., Suite 111, Lakewood, CO 80235
9. Laura Shain, MA, LPC, LAC, Wild Hearted HealingLaura Shain is a licensed addiction counselor, a licensed professional counselor, and owner of Wild Hearted Healing. She completed her master’s in wilderness therapy and transpersonal counseling psychology at Naropa University in 2014. She specializes in treating teens with addiction, depression, dual diagnosis (co-occurring mental health and addiction), and trauma/post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) with behavioral therapies and wilderness therapy, nature-oriented healing, and nature-based interventions.
Address: 10090 West 26th Ave., Suite 100, Lakewood, CO 80215
10. Cassie Krajewski, LAC, LCSW, LifeStance HealthCassie Krajewski is a licensed addiction counselor, a licensed clinical social worker, and a therapist at LifeStance Health (formerly Heart Centered Counseling). She completed her master’s in social work (interpersonal practice and mental health) at the University of Michigan in 2014. She specializes in treating addiction, depression, and trauma/post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) with behavioral therapies (cognitive, dialectical, motivational interviewing, and mindfulness.
Address: 7114 West Jefferson Ave., Suite 306, Lakewood, CO 80235
Website: heartcenteredcounselors.comSubstance use disorders can be tough to fight because they rewire your brain. Stopping use can leave you not just sober but flat, lifeless, less than you were before the substance use started. It can take months to begin to feel normal, and willpower probably won’t be enough. You need to retrain your brain, and there’s no one solution. Therapists and addiction counselors must know multiple methods. More than one in combination may be needed, such as behavioral therapy, peer support, medication-assisted treatment, meditation, exercise, and nutrition.
- denverpost.com – Colorado AG, law enforcement leaders call for stiffer criminal penalties as fentanyl deaths continue to spike
- cdc.gov – Drug Overdose Mortality by State
- colorado-demographics.com – Colorado Cities by Population
- colorado-demographics.com – Colorado Counties by Population
- jeffco.us – Deaths Related to Drug Intoxication/Toxicity
A Message From Our CEO
Sunshine Behavioral Health strives to help people who are facing substance abuse, addiction, mental health disorders, or a combination of these conditions. It does this by providing compassionate care and evidence-based content that addresses health, treatment, and recovery.
Licensed medical professionals review material we publish on our site. The material is not a substitute for qualified medical diagnoses, treatment, or advice. It should not be used to replace the suggestions of your personal physician or other health care professionals.