Addiction Counselors in Rockford, ILRockford, Illinois, is in Winnebago County, an area that’s seen its share of losses due to addiction. That’s not unique to Rockford and the county, however. It’s a mirror of national trends, where 100,306 people died from drug overdoses in the 12 months ending April 2021. That’s a 28.5% increase from the previous year’s 78,056 deaths. In 2021 Winnebago County reported 166 overdose deaths. The county installed drop boxes so people can dispose of medications safely, part of an effort to bring those numbers down. Offering a safe way to dispose of drugs that could be abused can help keep them away from some people. Still, it’s more complicated than just subtracting their easy availability for those who have an addiction (marked by repeat use, a growing tolerance, and withdrawal upon stopping use). Addiction is a complex disease that affects the brain. Decision-making and impulse control are impacted. To treat it, a person needs to get clean or detox, but they also need psychotherapy to help them determine why they use and learn ways to live drug-free. Counselors and therapists specializing in treating mental illness (like anxiety, depression, and trauma), addiction, or dual diagnosis (when addiction and mental illness co-occur) can help with that. Below is a list of some Rockford, IL-area counselors who help with addiction and mental disorders.
1. Leon B. Black, LCSW, CCBTLeon B. Black is a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW) and certified cognitive-behavioral therapist (CCBT). He has worked in community mental health centers, hospitals, school districts, with veterans, and in group practice. Black has a particular interest in veterans with PTSD, student-athletes with depression and anxiety, and African Americans and mental health. He offers online therapy.
Address: 7210 East State St., Suite 102, Rockford, IL 61108
Phone number: (815).324.1356
2. Kelly Borghi, LCSW, CADC, CODP IKelly Borghi is a licensed clinical social worker, certified alcohol and drug counselor, and co-occurring substance use and mental health disorder professional (CODP I). Borghi specializes in treating addiction, depression, dual diagnosis, substance use, trauma, and PTSD. She utilizes acceptance and commitment, cognitive-behavioral, and mindfulness-based therapies to help her patients. She has a master’s in social work from Aurora University.
Address: Borghi Counseling, 5906 Elaine Drive, Suite 105, Rockford, IL 61108
Phone number: (847).796.6238
3. Thomas Butler, LCPC, CADCThomas Butler is a licensed clinical professional counselor (LCPC), certified alcohol and drug counselor (CADC), and certified to treat mental illness and substance abuse. He uses cognitive-behavioral, eclectic, and trauma-focused therapies to treat his patients for addiction, depression, dual diagnoses, and PTSD. Butler also is trained in Multiple Channel Exposure Therapy and Lifespan Integration Therapy.
Address: Thomas Butler – Therapist, 129 Phelps Ave., Suite 304, Rockford, IL 61108
Phone number: (815).718.6326
4. Karin K. Leden, LCSWKarin K. Leden is a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW). Leden uses a variety of therapies to treat her patients, including cognitive-behavioral, brainspotting, dialectical, and experiential treatments. Her specialties are trauma and PTSD, depression, and anxiety. She is a member of the National Association of Social Workers.
Address: Center for the Healing Mind, PLLC, 6653 Weaver Road, Suite 105, Rockford, IL 61114
Phone number: (779).223.1901
5. Dr. J. Scott Nelson, LCPC, CRADCDr. J. Scott Nelson is a licensed clinical professional counselor (LCPC) and a Certified Reciprocal Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CRADC). He also trains other professionals as an associate professor of clinical counseling at Judson University. In addition, he received his doctorate in counselor education and supervision from Northern Illinois University and his master’s in professional counseling from Liberty University. At his private practice, he helps patients with addiction, anxiety, trauma, dual diagnosis, and other issues using cognitive-behavioral therapy. He is trained in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy.
Address: Transformations Counseling PLLC,6066 Strathmoor Drive, #C2 2nd FloorRockford, IL 61107
Phone number: (815).916.9970
6. James J. Ryan, LCSWJames J. Ryan is a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW). Ryan uses cognitive-behavioral therapy, emotionally focused, and other treatment approaches to help his patients with addiction, anxiety, phobias, trauma, self-esteem, and more. He’s worked with the American Red Cross to offer help during disasters. Ryan is also a trained hypnotherapist.
Address: 6072 Brynwood Drive, Suite105, Rockford, IL 61114
Phone number: (815).290.0882
7. Alanda L. Smith, LSW, CADC, CGCSAlanda L. Smith is a licensed social worker (LSW), a certified alcohol and drug counselor (CADC), and a certified grief counseling specialist (CGCS). Smith specializes in treating addiction, grief, and relationship issues. Prior to her career in social work, she worked as a nurse. Smith has a master’s in social work from George Williams College and Aurora University. She is a member of the National Association of Social Workers.
Address: Resilience Counseling, East Wind Business Complex, 129 S. Phelps Ave., Building 10, Suite 1006, Rockford, IL 61108
Phone number: (815).240.8074
8. Emily Toops, LPCEmily Toops is a licensed professional counselor (LPC). They specialize in treating depression and anxiety but also help clients with dual diagnosis, self-esteem, LGBTQ+ issues, transgender, trauma, and more. Toops uses a blend of person-centered talk therapy and cognitive-behavioral therapy. Toops offers online therapy.
Address: Rockford, IL 61103
Phone number: (872).250.4121
9. Tiffany Williams, LCSWTiffany Williams is a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW). Williams helps patients with anxiety, depression, substance abuse, grief, trauma, and stress. She uses cognitive-behavioral therapy, culturally sensitive, and psychodynamic approaches. Williams’ client focus is on Black, African-American, Hispanic, and Latino groups. She has a master’s in social work with a concentration in mental health from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Address: Perryville Counseling Group, 2990 N. Perryville Road, Suite 4100A, Rockford, IL 61107
10. Jeff Zajkowski, LCPC, CADCJeff Zajkowski is a licensed clinical professional counselor (LCPC) and certified alcohol and drug counselor (CADC). He helps individuals, couples, and families with addiction and compulsive behaviors, mood disorders, PTSD, depression, and anxiety. Treatments he employs include cognitive-behavioral, mindfulness-based, motivational, and psychoanalytic therapies. Video sessions are available.
Address: Restore Counseling and Recovery, 7399 Forest Hills Road, Loves Park, IL 61111
Phone number: (815).286.4533 x102
Website: www.restorerockford.comSubstance use disorders and mental health disorders take time and work to treat, but it can be a life-saving commitment with the right therapist and treatment approach. Sources
- wifr.com – Prescription drug drop boxes help prevent overdose deaths in Winnebago Co.
A Message From Our CEO
Sunshine Behavioral Health strives to help people who are facing substance abuse, addiction, mental health disorders, or a combination of these conditions. It does this by providing compassionate care and evidence-based content that addresses health, treatment, and recovery.
Licensed medical professionals review material we publish on our site. The material is not a substitute for qualified medical diagnoses, treatment, or advice. It should not be used to replace the suggestions of your personal physician or other health care professionals.