Drug abuse in Pennsylvania ranks highly as compared to most states in the U.S. What starts out as having fun, rebellious acts or innocent experiments quickly escalates to a life-changing substance abuse addiction.In 2015 alone, over 3,383 individuals in the state died from drug-related overdoses. The death rate in Pennsylvania in the same year stood at 26 for every 100,000 residents. This rate is way higher than the entire country’s average drug-related deaths of 14.7 in 100,000 people. Alarmingly, this ratio has been on an upward trend.
The number of adolescents and young adults struggling with drug addiction is threatening the young population of the state. In the last 10 years, the age group of 12-20 years reported a higher rate of binge drinking than the country’s average. Alcohol abuse in this age group has been linked to unaddressed and unresolved emotional difficulties. The state data reveals that most of these teenagers are battling constant depressive episodes making them resort to alcohol and other drugs as an escape or a way of self-medicating instead of seeking help.
According to 2014 data by The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), about 717,000 individuals from the ages of 12 showed signs of dependence on alcohol. Approximately 297,000 residents from the age of 12 as well were reported to be engaging in illicit drug use. Only 6.4% of those struggling with alcohol abuse sort for treatment while 17.5% of those using other types of illicit drugs went for treatment in Pennsylvania drug rehab facilities. Meaning that over 80% of the drug-related cases still remain untreated.
What to Look for In a Pennsylvania Drug Rehab?
Some of the important factors to consider when making such an important decision of choosing a treatment facility in Pennsylvania are as follows:
- Certification and licensure: A well-established Pennsylvania drug rehab should have the proper certification and licensure.
- Staff Quality: Does the addiction treatment center have a resident medical director? Are the staff members professionally qualified in their various capacities? Has the staff received additional or special training for the services they provide?
- Prior Visit: If possible, visit the rehab prior to seeking treatment. A simple visit will reveal a lot like the general ambiance of the treatment facility. Ask questions such as the therapist to patient ratio, and the different treatment programs offered. If it isn’t possible to visit the treatment center physically then go through their website and contact their support team to get any questions you may have answered. Ultimately, a Pennsylvania drug rehab or a Pennsylvania alcohol rehab should be a place where you will feel comfortable.
- Reputation: Has the Pennsylvania alcohol rehab facility been awarded or recognized for offering quality services? Does the center have any recommendations from satisfied patients? Does the treatment facility have a record of positive results? When choosing a Pennsylvania drug rehab, ensure that you find out if they have a good reputation.
- Services Offered and Special Amenities: An effective Pennsylvania drug rehab facility should use the latest equipment and technologies in their treatment program. For you to feel more relaxed and at home, you need some special amenities such as quality food, Wi-Fi, private phones, a conducive and soothing environment, Tv, among others. Enquire which options the treatment center has.
Benefits of Going to A Rehab Center
The following are the benefits of going to a Pennsylvania rehab center:
- Specialized Treatment Program: No two people are alike, and as such, you will be able to access treatment that is tailored for your specific needs. This is because a treatment option that works for one person might not necessarily work for you.
- Complete Focus: Receiving treatment from home can be a distraction. Recovering from a Pennsylvania alcohol rehab facility with no external interference will help you focus completely on your recovery.
- Varied Treatment Options: Many Pennsylvania rehab centers are founded on different treatment philosophies and approaches. Some centers have programs that are based on specific spiritual beliefs, particular religions, alternative treatments, family involvement, or even animal therapy. Pennsylvania rehab centers have something for everyone from Christian rehabs to holistic facilities.
- Reduced triggers: A Pennsylvania drug rehab center will greatly reduce your chances of encountering the different triggers that fuel your addiction. This is because you are placed in a controlled environment that seeks to help with your addiction.
What to Expect at A Pennsylvania Drug Rehab
It is not uncommon to be wary of what to expect in a rehab. However, remember that you need to overcome your fears in order to get help for your drug addiction problem.
Drug rehabilitation programs usually follow a 4-step process that involves:
- Treatment/ Therapy
Pennsylvania Drug Rehab: Inpatient vs Outpatient
There are two main addiction treatment options namely inpatient and outpatient.
Inpatient Program/ Residential Treatment
In this program, you stay in a treatment facility with an environment that is controlled. You receive round-the-clock medical as well as emotional support.
An inpatient program allows you to focus solely on getting over your addiction without being distracted.
Typically, the Pennsylvania alcohol rehab and Pennsylvania drug rehab programs may take anywhere between 28 days to over 12 months depending on the extent of your addiction.
There are a number of things you need to do before checking into an inpatient Pennsylvania drug rehab including:
- Informing your employer or handing over your business
- Ensuring that the living arrangements of your loved ones are sorted out
- Ensuring you carry all the necessary personal items allowed at the Pennsylvania drug rehab or Pennsylvania alcohol rehab facility
- Making transport arrangements to and from the Pennsylvania drug rehab
Compared to an inpatient program, an outpatient rehabilitation program in a Pennsylvania drug rehab or Pennsylvania alcohol rehab facility is a lot less restrictive. It allows the patient to stay at home while receiving treatment. If your doctor approves, you can still go to work even while undergoing treatment.
You will be required to spend an average of 10-12 hours every week in a treatment facility.
If your addiction is mild, based on the assessment of a professional, then this could be a viable option for you. Outpatient treatment is also a long-term treatment of drug addiction in a Pennsylvania alcohol rehab or Pennsylvania drug rehab.
Understanding Your Addiction Treatment Choices
There are a number of available options as highlighted below for your addiction treatment in Pennsylvania drug rehab centers or Pennsylvania alcohol rehab facilities.
If your desired type of treatment is not available in Pennsylvania, consider seeking out the details of a rehab in New Jersey.
- Dual Diagnosis: A lot of people with a drug addiction problem also suffer from different psychiatric disorders. The co-existence of these conditions is referred to as dual diagnosis.A well-equipped and well-established Pennsylvania drug rehab or Pennsylvania alcohol rehab is able to deal with the dual diagnosis
- Christian Rehab Centers: Christian Pennsylvania drug rehab and Pennsylvania alcohol rehab facilities use prayer and faith to help their patients recover. Patients participate in counseling sessions, faith-based therapy, bible studies, church sessions, and prayer meetings in these Christian rehab centers.
- Holistic Treatment: Holistic programs offer unique treatment in Pennsylvania drug rehab and Pennsylvania alcohol rehab centers distinct from those in many traditional rehabs. Holistic treatment focuses on the wholeness of your mind, body, and spirit and uses CAM (Complementary and Alternative Medicine) practices like:
- Nutritional interventions
- Non-12 step: Non-12 step treatment entails medication therapy and individual counseling in drug addiction treatment.
- 12 Step Treatment: The basic principle of a 12-step program is that individuals can assist each other achieve as well as maintaining drug abstinence through regular support meetings.
Pennsylvania Alcohol Rehab: Knowing the Difference
Alcohol addiction is a plague that millions of individuals are struggling in Pennsylvania within America alone. Consuming lots of alcohol over long periods of time can lead to addiction. Other causes are mental disorders or genetics.
Anyone can become addicted to alcohol but there is help available if you have an alcohol problem from inpatient programs to outpatient counseling to support groups.
There are successful Pennsylvania alcohol rehabs ready to assist you on the road to recovery and help you lead a normal and healthy life again.
Traveling for Treatment vs Staying in Pennsylvania
Between traveling or staying in Pennsylvania for treatment, what really matters is finding a rehab facility that fits your needs, the location notwithstanding. Traveling to another state—such as a rehab center in Maryland—can be very beneficial for the patient.
That said, the benefits of traveling for treatment are:
- High-quality and better treatment options are available
- It puts a distance between you and your triggers
- It symbolizes a recovery journey and a fresh start
- Reduces the temptations of you walking away from the treatment program because of the distance
- Reduces your chances of someone recognizing you while seeking treatment hence more privacy.
- Now let’s take a look at the benefits of staying in Pennsylvania for treatment
- Saves on cost. Rehab can prove an expensive affair especially if it is out of state
- Staying close to your loved ones means more support while undergoing treatment
- Local drug administration is more effective as the center is more familiar with your area and the available resources. This makes it easier to create your aftercare plan.
- You learn how to cope with the various drug triggers effectively
- Easy and convenient to support groups, sponsors, work programs, and counselors near you.
Paying for Drug and Alcohol Rehab
Ensure that you understand how the Pennsylvania drug rehab center handles costs. Also, confirm if the facility accepts the insurance options you have. Some treatment programs may accrue extra costs beyond their regular services. Make sure that everything is outlined for you in black and white before you choose a Pennsylvania drug rehab facility. If there is more information you’re interested in feel free to check out our resources page to find the answers to all the questions you have.
Paying for rehab may be different from state to state, such as a Delaware rehab center, so be sure to compare your options.
Sunshine Behavioral Health strives to help people who are facing substance abuse, addiction, mental health disorders, or a combination of these conditions. It does this by providing compassionate care and evidence-based content that addresses health, treatment, and recovery.
Licensed medical professionals review material we publish on our site. The material is not a substitute for qualified medical diagnoses, treatment, or advice. It should not be used to replace the suggestions of your personal physician or other health care professionals.