In recent years, addiction has been on the rise for those working within the mining profession. Many people will not find this as a surprise because mining is an extremely demanding job. Workers put their lives on the line every single day, so it clearly makes sense how many miners could turn to using substances such as drugs and alcohol. However, this should not excuse the riskiness within the mining profession and addiction.
Regardless, miners work hard every single day. They work with heavy equipment and every decision they make is a life and death decision. Minors who consume alcohol or take drugs are more at risk of endangering their lives and the lives of others.
Mining and Substance Abuse
Mining and substance abuse can lead to dangerous outcomes. Although, most miners understand substance abuse is dangerous, many miners don’t realize they are participating in risky behavior. For these miners, the positive effects they experience when drinking or using drugs seem to outweigh the negative impact the substances may have on their overall life.
If you are a miner and are currently struggling with a substance abuse problem, perhaps today is a good day to take control over it. Perhaps, you reward yourself by drinking alcohol at the end of a long, hard day. Maybe you use drugs to cope with the stress of this type of job. No matter your reasons for using these substances, you need to understand these acts can be very dangerous. This is why it is essential that you learn all you can about mining and drug abuse, mining and substance abuse, and the signs regarding substance abuse. It is also important to learn about mining and rehab, as well. If you are currently abusing alcohol or drugs, you should know you are not alone. Many miners are going through the same experience as you are right now.
Types of Substances Miners are Prone to Using
There are several substances miners are prone to using, according to some findings by SAMHSA. This means there are some drugs which seem to be better suited and used more frequently in this type of profession. Some of these drugs include the following:
- Prescription drugs
- Crystal Meth
These are only a few of the drugs some miners use on a regular basis in order to deal with the harsh environment of being a miner. If you are a miner and have a substance addiction, it is smart to seek treatment in order to get the help you need to overcome it.
Signs of Substance and Alcohol Addiction
Many people, including miners, frequently use drugs or alcohol. Most don’t think they have a problem with a particular substance. Perhaps, you are one of these people. Maybe, deep down you have been getting more and more concerned about how drugs and alcohol have been affecting your body and mind. It is essential for you to get to the truth and determine if you have an addiction. One way you can figure this out is to understand some addiction symptoms which include the following:
- Experiencing withdrawal when a person goes too long without drugs or alcohol
- The need to increase how much a person uses drugs or consumes alcohol in order to get the same effects as they are used to getting
- Having loved ones say you need to seek addiction treatment
- Dealing with relationship problems because you use drugs and alcohol to frequently
- Noticing the fact that substances are impacting your job performance
- Missing a lot of time from work because you have a hangover, recovery from binge drinking, or excessive use of drugs
- Noticing drugs and alcohol are more important to you than anything else in your life
- Wanting to use a particular substance as soon as you wake up
- Spend less time with loved ones because you would rather drink alcohol or use drugs
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, you could possibly have a substance addiction and should really seek help. There are many addiction resources available for people with addiction problems. Today would be a great day to get the help you deserve.
Dangers of Drug and Alcohol Addiction in the Mining Industry
The reality is that drug and alcohol addictions are very dangerous for those working in the mining industry. Without even realizing it, miners are endangering their lives every day that they use any kind of harmful substance. In addition, addicts and alcoholics often don’t realize they are also putting other people’s lives at risk. Some of the dangers miners who have addiction face include the following:
- Risk of losing their jobs because their foreman, supervisor, or boss finds them working while under the influence
- Risk of harming themselves and others while using heavy machinery when they are under the influence
- Risk of harming other miners because their ability to focus is impaired when they are under the influence
- Risk of breaking and damaging equipment which can create an unsafe working environment
- Addicts and alcoholics have poor decision making skills when they are under the influence of drugs and alcohol
Of course, these are only a few ways a miner who is addicted to drugs and alcohol can put themselves and others in danger. The mining profession requires a person to be able to pay attention to detail with the utmost focus. When a miner deters from these things there can be serious consequences. Far too many miners end up seriously hurt and some even have lost their lives because of substance abuse.
Why Many Miners Use Drugs and Alcohol
There are many reasons why miners use drugs and alcohol. Every person and situation differs, but generally speaking some of these reasons include the following:
- Miners may use because they are feeling physical pain
- Miners may use because they have poor health
- Some miners have mental health issues
- Some may use because they are under a lot of stress
- A day in the mining profession can be hard, hot, and long which can lead to miners wanting to unwind and do so by using their substance of choice
These are only a few reasons why many miners turn to using substances, but remember everyone has their own reason. However, miners should remember consuming alcohol or taking drugs can lead to serious consequences.
Call us today.
Now is the Time to Seek Help
Call us today.
Reasons Why Many Miners Do Not Want to Seek Treatment
There are many reasons why miners do not want to seek treatment for their substance addiction. Some of these include the following:
- Not understanding enough about addiction to realize they need substance abuse treatment
- The unwillingness to admit they have an addiction
- Afraid of losing their job
- Not wanting to stop using because other miners who they hang out with use drugs or consume alcohol
- They don’t know of any other way to handle their mental health issues
- Have no idea how they can make it through a shift without the use of drugs or alcohol
If you are a miner or work in any profession and are afraid of seeking treatment, you should know you are not alone. There are others in the same situation as you, so don’t be scared to reach out and get the help you deserve.
Drug and Alcohol Rehab Offers Hope
What most people in the mining industry don’t realize is that their bosses, supervisors, and higher-up management in the mining industry know a great deal about addiction. They are very serious when it comes to keeping the people who work for them safe. In addition, they are fully aware of how addictions can impact miners and the safety of their whole operation. So, for miners who have an addiction, admitting it to the company will most likely result in a favorable outcome.
There are many benefits for miners who enter into drug and alcohol rehab. Some of these include the following:
- Learn how to handle the stress which comes from their job
- Have a chance to concentrate entirely on getting the help they need in order to live a substance free life
- Learn how to avoid having a relapse and live a life without the use of drugs and alcohol
- Being able to fully understand the real reason behind their addiction
- Meet new people who are in the same situation as they are in
Drug and alcohol rehab can teach you so many things about addiction. You will come to understand why you depended on it for so long just to get through each and every day. In addition, you will learn why you used drugs and alcohol has a crutch. It may be something you leaned on in order to handle your stress. Drugs and alcohol can become something a person needs and wants in their life. However, you can break free from these substances, especially if you get the treatment you deserve.
Addiction among miners is becoming more and more common. It is a demanding profession so many miners turn to using drugs or consuming alcohol in order to get through their shifts. However, if you have an addiction there is help out there. You deserve to lead a life without the use of drugs or alcohol. Make today the day you start down the path to recovery.
Our insurance verification team works quickly to verify your insurance benefits to place you into one of our centers as soon as possible. Because of our industry expertise we will be able to verify this information in a timely manner and can advocate for more coverage or more time in treatment. We strive to do this as quick as possible while also maximizing your coverage. Our insurance verification process is of no cost to you and there are absolutely no obligations.
Sunshine Behavioral Health strives to help people who are facing substance abuse, addiction, mental health disorders, or a combination of these conditions. It does this by providing compassionate care and evidence-based content that addresses health, treatment, and recovery.
Licensed medical professionals review material we publish on our site. The material is not a substitute for qualified medical diagnoses, treatment, or advice. It should not be used to replace the suggestions of your personal physician or other health care professionals.