Charleston, South Carolina is a city that is fast becoming a point of concern in the fight against drug addiction in the United States. With a growing population and accessibility to many different cities, Charleston, SC serves as a portal of entry for most of the drugs in the South East.
Largely connected to many different cities through the port, millions of containers enter and leave the port daily. This mobility has served to make the port a center for the entry and exit of drugs in South Carolina. Along with the port, flights to Columbia and New York daily also serve to grow the drug problem.
In a recent survey, 7% of the adolescent population of South Carolina reported having used illicit drugs other than marijuana. About 11,571 people were admitted to alcohol rehab centers in South Carolina for having an alcohol addiction alone. In the same year, 2010, 5034 people were admitted for having an addiction to another drug besides alcohol.
Substance abuse causes damage to the individual, their families, and the state of South Carolina at large. Luckily, there are many substance abuse treatment centers in South Carolina that can get people suffering from addiction on the path to recovery. There are a variety of treatment programs for substance abuse. It can be confusing to settle on the best program for you.
When you decide to start your journey to sobriety, it is important to choose the right rehab center in South Carolina. Some of the things you should look out for when researching on the best South Carolina rehab facility for you include;
- Whether they are strictly in-patient or have outpatient programs that allow you to maintain your daily schedule while getting treatment.
- If the facility is specialized in treating the type of addiction you are struggling with.
- The type of amenities they have. For example, if they are a luxury rehab.
- The location of the facility also matters.
- The length of their treatment programs, that is, 30-day, 60-day, or 90-day treatment programs.
- You should also consider the cost and payment options available.
Substance abuse can negatively impact your life. Getting professional treatment for your addiction will help you to stop abusing the substances and get your life back on track. Rehabilitation centers in South Carolina can help you in the following ways;
- i) Give you a safe environment to break your cycle of addiction. You will detox the substances out of your system in a medical environment to help manage the withdrawal symptoms and get medications that reduce your craving for the drugs.
- ii) You will have the peace of mind to focus on your recovery away from the triggers of your addiction. You will be exposed to useful resources on how to fight your addiction.
iii) Some South Carolina drug rehab centers offer dual-diagnosis treatment programs that enable you to deal with underlying mental health issues that contribute to your addiction.
- iv) You will get peer support so that you don’t feel isolated in your fight against substance abuse addiction.
Staying committed to the treatment program helps you to get the best out of the facility and have a solid foundation for sober living.
Different South Carolina drug rehab centers have different treatment programs for different types of addictions. Individual experiences for patients vary. However, you can expect your treatment program to generally have four phases. The phases are intake, detox, rehabilitation, and aftercare programs. Understanding the rehab process helps you to effectively prepare for your treatment.
The phases are as below;
- Phase 1: Intake- Includes admission, assessment, and the creation of a personalized treatment plan.
- Phase 2: Medically supervised detox to get the substance out of your system.
- Phase 3: Rehabilitation which includes therapies for the individual, group, and family.
- Phase 4: Aftercare programs which include continued therapy, sober living, and support groups for long-term recovery.
What option should you go for between in-patient and out-patient treatment programs? This decision is usually addressed by a number of factors. However, the most important consideration is the level of your addiction. Some patients usually need round-the-clock supervision and care.
You should discuss with your doctor the best option for you before making a decision. You can also consider other factors such as family and professional obligations.
South Carolina is home to more than 100 different rehab facilities. Finding the best rehab for you or your loved one is a task that should not be taken lightly. Different factors come into play when it comes to deciding the best rehab for you.
The services offered at most rehabs include;
- 12 step program; Initially formed by the founders of Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 step program serves to take the participants through a series of 12 steps geared toward an end goal of healing step after step. Over the years, there have been many modifications to the program with different addictions having their own 12 steps.
- Non-12-step; The non-12 step program puts focus on individual and personal choice in the matter of addiction. While the 12-step program focuses entirely on their being a higher power and that addictions are beyond the power of the individual afflicted.
- Behavioral counseling; When it comes to dual diagnosis, psychotherapy works towards ensuring that the individual is empowered toward handling life after the addiction. This is through counseling that focuses on a shift in behavior rather than a shift in a person’s habits.
- Group therapy; This is normally the last step in addiction treatment. This is because the first step is ideally detoxification before the need for therapy to maintain the detoxification. Most centers offer some type of group therapy because of it’s proven track record.
If the environment around you enables your addiction, then you may need to check into a rehab that is far away from home. It is advisable to put everything in order before going away though. Any bills that will come up while you are in rehab should be sorted before checking in or have someone take care of them for you.
Most centers will not turn away a patient because of a lack of funds. It is however important that you select a center that offers coverage for the exact condition you are seeking to treat In an attempt to lower drug overdose-related deaths, the state of South Carolina has put in place subsidies that aid in the payment of rehabs.
Different centers accept different private insurance coverage. The great thing about private insurance is that it allows individuals to access all kinds of services offered in rehab centers. Additionally, private insurance opens the doors to personalized luxury rehabilitation, which is more conclusive.
Certain treatment facilities also have programs sponsored by non-governmental organizations which allow individuals needing the help to receive it without having to pay any fees upfront. Furthermore, you can inquire if the rehab center has payment programs that allow installment payments for a specified period of time. It is always important to find out the specific payment plans provided by the centers before checking in.
Talk with one of our treatment specialists . Call 24/: 949-276-2886
- South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control- https://www.scdhec.gov/sites/default/files/media/document/Opioid_Prescription_in_South_Carolina_Oct-2018.pdf
- National Drug Intelligence Center- https://www.justice.gov/archive/ndic/pubs07/717/717p.pdf
- South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (SCDHHS)- https://www.scdhhs.gov/site-page/medicaid
- National Center for Biotechnology Information- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5047716/