Substance Abuse Resources in McAllen
While the state of Texas is not included in the list of top 10 states with the biggest drug problems in 2018 as ranked by WalletHub, its drug-related figures are still something to be concerned about. According to the statistics of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the number of drug overdose deaths in TX has been steadily increasing. From 1,910 drug overdose deaths in 2005, the number is already at 2,831 by 2016 and still growing.
It is important to note that almost half of the drug overdose deaths in Texas were related to opioids. The records of the National Institute on Drug Abuse showed that 1,355 people died from opioid-related overdose deaths in TX in 2016. The number is expected to increase as the dangerous opioid Fentanyl is already causing deaths in the state at alarming rates.
Substance Abuse in McAllen
In the city of McAllen, substance abuse is also an issue particularly when you take into consideration its proximity to the Texas-Mexico border. Studies show that illicit drugs continue to come in from Mexico through Mc Allen and other cities and smaller towns along the border.Based on the number of drug abuse arrests and seizures in 2017, the following are the most commonly abused substances in the city:
- Other Drugs – barbiturates, amphetamines, methamphetamines, etc.
Substance Abuse Among College Students in McAllen
Considering its proximity to the border, students in McAllen have been reported to use more marijuana, cocaine, and heroin compared with non-border students. The National Drug Intelligence Center also reported that club drugs such as MDMA, GHB, and its analogs, ketamine, LSD, Rohypnol, hallucinogen PCP and diverted pharmaceuticals are sold and abused on college campuses.
To address the substance abuse problem among college students in the area, many universities and colleges, like the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, offers the Collegiate Recovery Program. CRPs have long been active in helping college students achieve their educational goals while in recovery.
Different Treatment Options in McAllen
If you are looking for help to aid your substance abuse problem, know that there are numerous addiction rehab facilities in McAllen that can assist you in your recovery journey. These McAllen rehab facilities offer different types of treatment programs depending on the recovery requirements of the drug-addicted client.
Below are the different types of addiction rehabs in McAllen that you may want to consider:
- Inpatient Rehab Facilities McAllen: Inpatient drug and alcohol treatment centers McAllen provide the highest level of treatment care considering that drug-addicted patients reside in the facility for at least thirty days. Given that patients are monitored and cared for by specialist 24/7, this type of rehab in McAllen is best suited for individuals with a serious addiction problem, those who have been in rehab before, and those who are suffering from other medical conditions.
- Outpatient Rehab Centers McAllen: For patients who cannot afford to leave their home to stay in the facility, they can consider getting treatment in an outpatient rehab McAllen. In this type of program, the drug-addicted individual simply goes to treatment during appointments and go back home once the session is over. This type of care is suited for individuals with mild addiction.
- 12 Step Drug Rehab Centers in McAllen: McAllen drug rehab centers that utilize the 12-step approach in recovery abide by the method originally postulated by the founders of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA). Patients who choose rehabilitation facilities in McAllen that offer this program are essentially taught that belief in a higher power, willingness, honesty, and open-mindedness are keys to recovery.
- Non 12 Step Rehab in Mc Allen: If you are one of the many drug-addicted individuals who does not believe in the basic principles of the 12-step approach, particularly the need to appeal to divine power, you can choose to enter a non 12 step drug rehab McAllen. Apart from being non-religious, a non 12 step treatment facility offers various therapeutic strategies that differ from the traditional 12 step method.
- Dual Diagnosis Rehab in McAllen: Dual diagnosis rehab centers in McAllen assist people who are suffering from dual diagnosis or co-occurring disorder, a condition wherein the patient is suffering from both substance use disorder and some form of mental illness. Dual diagnosis rehab facilities provide integrated care that simultaneously addresses the addiction problem and psychiatric symptoms.
- Luxury Rehab near McAllen: There are rehab facilities near McAllen that are categorized as “luxury rehabs” provide residential treatment similar to inpatient rehab. The critical difference, however, is that the accommodations, facilities, and environment are more high-end in luxury treatment centers. Patients have their own private rooms complete with hotel-like ambiance and their security and privacy are more guaranteed.
- Faith-Based Drug Rehab McAllen: McAllen rehab centers that offer a faith-based approach to addiction treatment help drug-addicted individuals who are believers to renew their connection to the higher power so that they can overcome their substance abuse problem. Such addiction facilities incorporate prayers and worship in their recovery program. The items above are the many McAllen rehabilitation centers available that can help you win the battle against addiction.
SMART Recovery Meetings in McAllen: SMART Recovery (Self-Management and Recovery Training) is a non-12-step support group that aims to assist individuals to recover from all types of addiction – substances and activities. The group meets regularly face to face or online and members are taught self-empowerment techniques and self-reliance.
- Addiction Recovery Support Groups in Texas: Considering that recovering addicts are always at risk of relapsing, it is best that you join addiction recovery support groups after completing your treatment in a rehab center near McAllen. The following support groups are meant to assist recovering addicts like you in your continuous journey toward long-term abstinence:
- Alcoholics Anonymous McAllen:Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) is a worldwide group that started the 12-step approach. AA McAllen is designed to not only help alcoholics in their lifelong recovery journey but for them to help and support one another. To learn about McAllen AA meetings near you, click here.
- Narcotics Anonymous McAllen: Narcotics Anonymous (NA) is a self-help group that stemmed from Alcoholic Anonymous. NA McAllen aims to help in the recovery of individuals who are addicted, not only to narcotics but to all types of drugs. Click here to view the schedule of NA meetings in McAllen.
Paying for Addiction Rehab in Texas
If you are concerned about how you are going to pay for substance abuse treatment , know that the 2009 Texas Legislature authorized the inclusion of a substance use disorder benefit in Medicaid. If you have private health insurance, you can call your insurance carrier to verify what addiction treatment services are covered by your plan. You can also consider the following options to source funds:
- Securing a bank loan
- Selling your valuables (jewelry, antiques, art collections, etc.)
- Asking loved ones for help
- Start a crowdfunding campaign at GoFundMe.com
You can also reach out to our insurance verification team.