At least 650 people in Virginia died as a result of opioid overdose in 2019. Despite the staggering number of substance abuse in the state, only 22,413 enrolled for treatment in 2017. This means that a large percentage of substance abuse victims do not get the help they need. Some of them are even in denial of their problems. If you are one of the few that recognize that you have a problem, it is understandable to feel lost the first time you enroll in a rehab program. You may be unsure of what to expect and how to prepare for this major life change. It is okay to feel like this. Our guide will help you prepare for the next step in your journey to recovery.
When it comes to treatment for substance addiction, a search for a rehab facility in Virginia can bring back a number of results. You may end up more confused about which Virginia rehab center to settle for. To make your selection much easier, here are some questions you should ask when looking for a drug rehab center in Virginia;
- What type of treatment program would best suit your situation and needs?
- Does the facility specialize care, such as rehab for veterans, women, LGBTQ, persons with disabilities, and teenagers?
- Do they support the recovery process after you leave the rehab?
- What treatment approaches do they use?
There are several drug rehab centers in Virginia that can help you with your addiction. Some of the benefits you will get from enrolling in Virginia drug rehabilitation programs include;
- Have a safe and stable environment to get off drugs and live a normal life free of your addiction.
- Access to substance abuse addiction experts from whom you will learn about your addiction and how to quit substance abuse.
- Reduce your chances of relapse by gaining access to support groups and useful resources for sober living.
- Staying active and adopting healthy lifestyle habits.
It is important to understand how the rehab program will work. The main focus of all rehab programs is to enable you to live your life normally without the substances you are addicted to. However, different rehabilitation facilities in Virginia have different substance addiction treatment programs. If you have already settled on a particular facility, you can use the time to find out more about their treatment program. This will give you an idea of how the program will work and what to expect. With such information in mind, you will be mentally prepared for your journey to recovery.
Normally, the following steps will be part of your rehabilitation process:
- Admission and assessment- The Virginia treatment center will focus the first few days on ensuring you comfortably fit into the program. Your mental health, medical history, and drug history will be taken into account in order to create an effective personalized treatment plan.
- Medically-Supervised Detox– After the initial assessment, you will be put on a medical detox to treat the physical dependence and manage any withdrawal symptoms. Without this, drug withdrawal symptoms can sometimes be severe and fatal.
- Counseling and therapy- Once the detox process has been completed, you will have individual and group therapy sessions to attend. This is intended to help you deal with underlying issues that may have contributed to your addiction. The therapies can either be traditional or holistic therapy.
- Aftercare- To reduce the chances of relapsing, some treatment centers in Virginia will maintain communication with you after you have been discharged from the facility. Aftercare programs usually consist of ongoing therapy, treatment services such as acupuncture, and peer support groups to help complete the journey to complete recovery.
It is daunting to be away from your loved ones and in a totally new environment. It is important to keep in mind that the people you meet at the Virginia drug rehab centers will be your second support system in your journey to recovery. Your fellow patients are going through the same struggles as you are so you will need each other to stay motivated to keep clean.
You need to be surrounded by people who want to stay sober after all. If you positively embrace your new lifestyle, you will be able to forge friendships that will provide you with additional support in your fight against addiction. The network you build may even help you after you leave the rehab.
Understanding Your Rehab Options
You can always discuss with your doctor which treatment option is best for you. There are a wide variety of options to choose from. Depending on your situation, some may work for you while others may not. Take your time to look at the pros and cons of each treatment option before settling on the most suitable for you. Discuss this with a substance abuse treatment expert.
Before you check into an inpatient drug rehab in Virginia, ensure that your finances, family, and work obligations are taken care of. If you are a parent or guardian, you can ask family and friends to look after your loved ones while you are away. Knowing that people you care about are in good hands will put your mind at ease while in rehab and help in your recovery. Pets should also be handed over to those who can take care of them. You can also consider hiring professional caregivers. It is also important to talk to your employer and delegate your tasks. Their support will be a motivating factor to see yourself through the program.
Additionally, you may need to set up automatic payments for any bill that will be due while you are in rehab. Pending bills will not only be a distraction to you while you are in rehab, but financial stress when you get out can also contribute to your relapse.
Before you go into rehab, you will need to confirm that you have all the essentials to ensure a comfortable stay. This will enable you to focus on your treatment and recovery. Some of the items to carry along include;
- Identification documents such as a photo ID, passport, or driver’s license.
- A copy of your insurance card.
- Non-alcoholic toiletries.
- Comfortable non-provocative clothing that is not alcohol or drug branded.
- Bathing robes.
- Gym clothes and tennis shoes.
- Electronics such as MP3 players. Most Virginia rehab facilities don’t allow cameras in the facilities.
- List of important contacts.
- Laundry supplies.
However, the following items are usually prohibited at most rehabilitation centers;
- Knives and straight razors
- Firearms and other kinds of ammunition
- Alcoholic products
- Movies and pornographic materials.
- Unapproved supplements.
- Aerosol cans and pump hairsprays.
Both private and public insurance plans can greatly reduce the amount of money you have to pay for treatment. Most facilities can verify the type of benefits your insurance cover can get you at the rehab facility. There is no need to bear the high costs of substance abuse treatment when you can have insurance cater for a substantial part of the costs.