SMART Recovery Rehab | SMART Recovery Treatment Centers
What Are SMART Recovery Programs?
SMART Recovery (Self-Management and Recovery Training) is a program that provides a modern approach to treating drug addiction. SMART Recovery programs sponsor in-person and online meetings all over the world. These meetings allow people who are recovering from addiction to talk with — and learn from — others who are having or have had similar experiences.
The goal of SMART Recovery programs is to help individuals who have stopped using drugs or alcohol or are thinking about stopping such substance use.
The Four Points of the SMART Recovery Program
The SMART Recovery program is designed to give former drug and alcohol users the independence and confidence they need to make their own choices relating to their rehabilitation. This recovery program is a tool that can be used alone or in conjunction with other treatments.
SMART Recovery is a process that consists of four points based on scientific knowledge. Users can adjust the process as they learn more about addiction and the recovery process. The four points of SMART Recovery are:
1. Building and maintaining motivation: SMART Recovery programs teach people how to build the motivation to stay sober. For some, using drugs or alcohol is their main source of happiness in life. SMART Recovery teaches people that there are more fulfilling ways to live their lives. The more people stay sober, the more likely they are to build lives of their own. Living on one’s own, making new friends, and building a career are all major motivations that keep people sober. Once people have these things, they may be less likely to use drugs and alcohol again because they fear losing the independence and happiness that sobriety provides.
2. Coping with urges: Many people do not know how to cope with their urges to use drugs and alcohol. Sometimes, their urges are so strong that they will go back to using drugs and alcohol even when they know that such use may create extremely negative consequences. SMART Recovery programs teach coping mechanisms to help people deal with such urges and cravings when they arise.
3. Managing thoughts, feelings, and behaviors: SMART Recovery programs shows people in recovery that they are in control of their thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. Sometimes, recovering alcohol and drug users do not know how to control their thoughts and emotions about using. SMART Recovery programs show participants how to channel these emotions and thoughts into positive outlets instead of using drugs or alcohol.
4. Living balanced lives: Perhaps one of the biggest obstacles people in recovery face is building structured lives. When there is no structure, people in recovery may relapse because they may return to thoughts, feelings, and actions that they already know. In addition, living a life of sobriety may feel overwhelming. When people feel as if there is too much happening and no structure, they may give up and go back to using drugs or alcohol. SMART Recovery programs show people how to balance and structure their new lives.
SMART Recovery is a great way to learn how to live sober. When choosing a center, there are also other treatment options that may be combined with SMART Recovery:
- Holistic addiction treatment
- Dual diagnosis addiction treatment
- Non 12-step addiction treatment
- Faith-based addiction treatment
SMART Recovery vs. 12-Step Treatment
While many people may compare SMART Recovery to a 12-step program, the SMART Recovery program is fundamentally different in some important ways.
For one, at the end of the rehabilitation process, former addicts can graduate from the SMART Recovery program. They can put that part of their lives behind them. Meanwhile, people often view 12-step programs as perpetual treatment. In addition, the emphasis on spirituality in 12-step programs bothers some people who want something more secular in nature.
Furthermore, SMART Recovery allows individuals who may not have quit using their preferred substances to start their program, while 12-step programs require participants to abstain from using drugs or alcohol. Different programs, then, offer different options based on their users’ wants and needs.
Despite the differences, SMART Recovery utilizes concepts that are similar to 12-step methods. The similarities might make SMART Recovery more attractive and easier for some practitioners to understand. For example, SMART Recovery uses what it calls the six stages of change, while 12-step programs use a series of twelve steps.
What to Expect During Your SMART Recovery Program Visit
Some people avoid going to rehab because they fear the unknown. When people do not know what they are getting themselves into, they may avoid it or hold misconceptions about it. The following is a four-step process that you may encounter at many rehab centers: Intake is the first process of any rehab program. During intake, you will meet the staff and have the chance to ask any pressing questions you may have.
Also, you will undergo physical and mental health screenings to determine if you have any physical or mental illnesses. Staff members will ask you about your medical history as well as your history of drug and alcohol abuse. It is important to be completely honest about your use of drugs and alcohol because staff members will be creating detox protocols and other treatments after your intake is complete. Detoxification, or detox, is arguably the most important part of any rehab experience. It involves removing all traces of alcohol and drugs from the body. Staff members provide around-the-clock monitoring for the clients for withdrawal symptoms until their symptoms subside.
During detox, clients are generally not required to participate in group activities or treatment. The main goal of the process is to give people an opportunity to rest and to allow drugs and alcohol to leave their bodies. Once you finish detox, you will enter the heart of your treatment. This is where you learn about addiction, and just as importantly, learn about yourself. You will meet one-on-one with counselors to discuss deep-seated issues that could have led to your abuse of drugs and alcohol. You will also work in groups to discuss addiction and ways to stay sober.
Group therapy is another important aspect of treatment because it helps people realize that they are not alone in their thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. Sometimes, group therapy can help people create lifelong friendships.
Treatment teaches participants coping skills and ways to fight cravings to avoid relapsing after rehab. The treatment portion of rehab teaches people how to transition into lives of sobriety. The best SMART Recovery programs offer various treatments in addition to SMART Recovery training. The best rehab centers have solid aftercare programs. Many clients travel from their hometowns to attend rehab. While in rehab, everything may seem great, but what happens when it is time to go home?
Aftercare typically includes finding outpatient programs in the clients’ communities so they can continue treatment. The counselors may also find support groups in the clients’ communities that they can attend after leaving the centers.
In some cases, counselors find therapists for clients to continue discussing issues that still need addressing. The best rehab centers will work on your aftercare plan from day one, update it every week until you are ready to leave, and arrange assistance you can receive after leaving.
Paying for SMART Recovery Programs
We strive to make rehab affordable for anyone who contacts us. Typically, if you have private insurance, it gives you more rehab choices and helps you avoid many out-of-pocket expenses.
Many insurance programs offer rehab coverage. We will advocate for you to ensure that you receive the maximum amount of treatment for the smallest minimum cost. We have a team of experts who understand the insurance industry and know how to work with your insurance company if it is not paying the amount that it should. Contact us at any time of the day or night to see what our team can do for you!
Talk with one of our Treatment Specialists!
Call 24/7: 949-276-2886